11.11.2014

in remembrance on veterans day

yesterday marked twenty-three years that my grandfather on my mom's side of the family has been gone. sunday marks my twenty-second birthday. i never had the chance to have him hold me in his arms, much less get to know him. still, i feel that i do know him through the stories my mom and her siblings, my dad and uncle, and my grandmother tell about him. his spirit lives on through them. i admire him for the achievements he made in his life. it is because of him that our blood runs orange. i have no doubt that we would have gotten along well. i think he would have quite liked my red-headed-fiery attitude. i believe i would have made him shake his head and laugh in my younger days and frustrated him during my teenage years. today though, i hope i would make him proud. i have always said that if i was asked the question of who i would want to have dinner with, living or dead, he would certainly have a seat at the table.




not only was yesterday the anniversary of my grandfather's death, but today is also veteran's day which makes yesterday mean even more. pa, as the grandkids called him, fletch lowe as his family and friends knew him as, was a general in the united states air force. hearing the stories through others of his experiences flying c-130s in the air force has always kept me riveted to my seat. because of him and so many others like him, including the man who came into our lives after the passing of my grandfather and who I consider to be my grandfather, tony, i am able to live the life that i am accustomed to. i am forever grateful and forever indebted to those who serve, have served and will serve our country. the men and women in the armed forces should not be celebrated on certain days of the year, they should be recognized every day for their service to our country. it is because of them that we have what we have. so on this beautiful november tuesday, i am remembering my grandfather and thanking those who serve our country. let us not forget them when it is not a national holiday. happy veterans day to men and women of our military, may we celebrate our dedication to america always.

xoxo,
clp

No comments:

Post a Comment