10.11.2013

a chili and cornbread kind of night

fall weather finally showed up this week which means one thing: its time to make some chili. there are very few things that represent fall more than a bowl of chili and a slice of cornbread do. since chili feeds a crowd, i invited my favorites over to help me eat it! this recipe is my brother's recipe and it is my favorite red chili recipe! he always surprises us when he breaks out his chef hat and makes us something that is delicious! of course, i made granny's cornbread to accompany the chili!

phillip's chili
1-1.5 lbs lean ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 can Rotel Chili Fixins
2 cans no-salt added petite diced tomatoes
1 can dark kidney beans, drained
1 can light kidney beans, drained
1 can chili beans, NOT drained
1/2-1 can water
1 tbsp cocoa (optional, but encouraged!)
1 tbsp sugar (i used Splenda)
2 tsp each cumin and ground red pepper
at least 3 tbsp chili powder
salt and pepper, to taste
  1. brown ground beef and chopped onion together. 
  2. put in large pot or crockpot.add remaining ingredients to pot and let simmer on stove or cook on low in crock-pot for 6-8 hours.
  3. serve hot with toppings of choice!

i am so happy kaitlin, alivia, kellan and lauren came into my life. before i found them and others, i didn't really have a "group" of close friends in alpha chi. i know i can depend on any of my sisters for anything, but these particular girls have become my best friends. i don't know where i would be, certainly not at UT, if it weren't for this group of girls that have become such a part of my life. i have changed quite a bit since i left for college, as i think everyone does, and my group of friends has changed both here and at home. i am so lucky to have found people who accept who i am, both for my strengths and weaknesses.


"they are the family we choose to surround us, the sisters bound by love instead of blood. they know when we are lonely, and appear without being called. when we feel lost, they provide a living map to what comes next; when we doubt everything about ourselves, they remind us who we are." 
-Barbara Alpert


y'all, i have had one of the best fridays ever! this morning, i made chili, did laundry, cleaned up the apartment, shopped online and was headed for the gym all before 8:30. i then had finance after lunch which i was dreading because we were getting our tests from last week back. however, after i got my test back, i was on cloud nine the rest of the day. the grade was refrigerator worthy in my opinion. after class, i went took some clothes to plato's for some spending money, and then went to target and trader joe's! i also finally decorated a pumpkin i had bought over a week ago! though i didn't do anything extraordinary, it was such an enjoyable afternoon and evening, especially with the stress of not knowing how i did on my test gone. i did purchase a few things today as a treat to myself which i thought i would share my two favorites with you and also my finished pumpkin! 






my decorated pumpkin


the rest of my friday night is consisting of Homeland, Gone Girl, Pinterest-ing, and birthday wishlist making. tomorrow morning i am trying out a Barre3 class which i am really looking forward to and i am having my little and grandlittle over for a family dinner tomorrow night! i love low-key weekends and am going to enjoy this one before school gets busy again after fall break! 

xoxo,
clp

No comments:

Post a Comment