9.22.2013

first day of fall

happy first day of fall y'all! fall starts my favorite time of the year. from football, homecoming, halloween, my birthday, thanksgiving, christmas and new years, the last quarter of the year is always the best.


i am spending my first day of fall at home this weekend. i was in much need of a change of scenery from knoxville and this quick trip home was perfect. i came home friday afternoon to my beautiful house that i am so thankful for and it felt like i had never left. my mom knows me well because she made sure there was a bowl full of fruit and sweet tea in the refrigerator. she also had a flu shot waiting on me as well (oh the perks of being a pediatrician's daughter). nonetheless, this weekend has been a relaxing weekend. mom hosted a baby shower for one of her partners so i helped with that and besides that, we spent the weekend at home just catching up (and watching some painful UT football). i did go to mawsie's for supper last night because she made my favorite vegetable soup and cornbread. unlike many college students my age, i love coming home. the five hours total in the car are worth the 48 hours at home with my parents. i feel like my weekend trips home reenergize me and get me back on track. 

for the baby shower, mom made her strawberry cake. if i didn't get IveyCake cupcakes for my birthday, this would be the cake i would request. its definitely not a healthy cake, but you have to treat yourself every once in a while. there was some cake leftover from the baby shower so some of it made its way back to knoxville. 

strawberry cake

1 box duncan hines white cake mix
1 box strawberry jello (dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water)
4 eggs
1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup crushed strawberries

  1. mix all ingredients together and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. let cool before icing. 
strawberry cake icing

3 cups powdered sugar
1 stick margarine
1/2 cup crushed strawberries
1 cup pecans
1 small can coconut (optional, we usually leave out) 

  1. melt butter, add sugar, then add remaining ingredients. 
  2. pour over cooled cake. 
  3. store in refrigerator. 
this cake is a family favorite and i always go back for more when we make it! i have a hard time practicing self-control with this cake. its a great cake for spring and summer because of the fresh berries.

this upcoming week is a busy one, but i have much to look forward to. between school and other activities, i may not be able to post much this week but i will try my hardest! i hope everyone has had as wonderful a weekend as i have (thanks to my amazing parents). happy fall! 

xoxo, 
clp 


No comments:

Post a Comment